Saturday, March 21, 2015

Essentials, Part 2 (Shoes!)

**Update - As it turns out, even though I started this post last weekend at my parents' home, I'm finishing it up and posting it today from mine. And forget what I had said about end of winter - we had a nice 4 inches of snow on the first day of spring yesterday! It's melting fast though with the warmer temperature today, and honestly, it's quite beautiful and cheery. No complaints here :)


Hello again! It's a very blustery, almost-end-of-winter and almost-spring type of day today, complete with pearly gray clouds that cast a silvery glow on the outdoors scenery. I'm typing this from my parents' home, where I'm visiting for a weekend, and thought I'd take advantage of the down time to share my thoughts on shoe essentials.

Before I start though, let me put a disclosure out there that I am a girl who truly loves her shoes. I may even be obsessed - there, I've said it! Just in case I may start to sound a little crazy - at least now you'll know why, and you have been warned. :)

All kidding aside though, I really believe in the power of shoes to make or break an outfit. Visually speaking, even though shoes account for a fairly small proportion of your overall look, their impact is significant given their placement. If you think about it, looks are basically comprised of a base (top and bottom), with outer edges being the accessories that go on the head/neck, hands, and feet. These parts really stand out, so you can see their ability to really finish off a look.

This means that shoes are one part of your wardrobe where I believe one should never scrimp. Not only because of their visual power, but also because of the beating that they take. They support us the entire time they're on our feet, and there are few things worse sartorially than a pair of uncomfortable shoes. It's tempting to go for less expensive, trendy shoes that won't break the bank and to buy more of those. After all, there is a ton of variety out there, which is a big part of shoes' appeal - you can go crazy (and some designers really do, IMHO). In any case, I feel a case of 'gimme all the shoes!!' coming on :D

Rather than dropping hard-earned money on shoes that won't last beyond one season, and which are uncomfortable or poorly made, I urge you to consider building a shoe wardrobe of your essentials - the ones you can reach for over and over, that will carry you through a multitude of occasions while looking good and staying comfortable. You don't need to spend tons of money and run out to buy all the Louboutins and Choos that you see! There are lots of great, well-priced options out there that will keep you looking sharp without being too hard on your bank account.

Always keep an eye out for quality - you'll get more for your money this way. For dress shoes, good quality shoes are made of real leather (try to stay away from synthetic leathers), fit your feet well, and are comfortable from the get-go. If you can, look for shoes that have a leather sole. They'll mold to your feet, and you can extend their wear after a few seasons by having them re-soled. For any kind of shoe that you'll be wearing to withstand extreme temperatures, make sure the exterior is durable, and that the soles are sturdy and slip-proof, especially for winter boots you'll want to wear in snow, ice, and sleet.

In terms of the type of shoe - think about what you need for your lifestyle, and find suitable shoes accordingly. If you work mostly in an office environment, you may want to have a few good pairs of office-ready pumps and flats to complement you work wardrobe. If you're on your feet most of the time, comfort really is key, so steer clear of super high heels and opt for shoes with a good, gripping sole, and a cushioned footbed. Find what works best for you so you don't have to worry unnecessarily over your shoes - you want to put them on and get out there to get going!

Here is my list of shoe essentials:

1. Black pumps

I love a good pair of black pumps - they go with many different outfits and add instant polish. I had a trusty pair for several years that were my go-tos for work, interviews, conferences, you name it! They are out of commission now, but I recently replaced them with a pair of black patent leather kitten heels (pointy toe) by Via Spiga. Extremely comfortable and they look great with just about everything I've paired them against.

On the wishlist - a slightly higher heeled pair with an almond toe, and a pair of pointy-toed black suede pumps. Mmm, suede :)

2. Nude pumps

These are great for the spring and summer. My go-to is the DVF Anette pump - wonderfully cushioned and comfortable, with a sleek pointy toed shape. Best part is I got them on eBay, brand new with box, for a tiny fraction of the original price <3

On the wishlist - a pair of Christian Louboutin Simple 85's. I would not complain about having these babies on my feet, oh no! ;-)

3. Black ballet flats

The more low-key version of black pumps :) I have a classic ballerina pair and a patent pair - awesome for running around in jeans, shorts, or casual skirts and dresses.

4. Nude flats

The more low-key cousin of nude pumps - I had a great pair from Madewell that I wore to death over the past three years. Last year I found a pair of J. Crew nude Janey flats, so I'm looking forward to breaking them out this spring!

5. Colorful flats

These really are essentials for me, because I can swap out the black and nude ones for a punch of color. I went crazy for J. Crew Janeys last year - in addition to the nude pair, I also have them in jade green, cobalt blue, and persimmon. They are perfect for my feet, and the little gold heel just takes the whole thing over the top. No regrets there :)

6. Simple sandals in neutral colors

I found a great taupe pair with crystal-embellished heels on yoox.com a couple of years ago, and constantly reach for them in the summer - very comfortable and easy to pair with anything. Looking for a pair of luggage brown gladiator/thong-style sandals, maybe by K. Jacques or Ancient Greek Sandals - the artistry is beautiful on those.

7. Over the knee black leather boots

Nothing worse than cold knees in the winter! I found a wonderful pair by Pour La Victoire three years ago. They fit beautifully, are comfortable, and look sleek with everything I've paired them with. Plus, I'm always thankful for the warmth they impart. They've held up very well (I wear 1-2 times per week in the fall/winter) - the only downside is they can be a slippery since the leather soles are almost burnished with wear now. I'm thinking I'd get these resoled, keep it as a backup, and find a pair with better treads. Or just see how new rubber roles will work out! I'll keep you posted!

8. Party shoes

Oh yes..they sound impractical, but I definitely consider these a must-have. They are the gorgeous babies who will finish up your dressier outfits and complete your fantastic looks. You don't want a pair of overly plain shoes to throw off the overall look of your gorgeous cocktail dress or ballgown. I tend to gravitate towards super shiny metallics here, in a simple shape. I found a pair of beautiful gold sandals on eBay a few years ago, and always reach for those for dressy events. They add just right amount of sparkle and shine.

9. Comfy kicks

For super casual days when you just want comfort! Or for travel - who wants to stand forever in the security line struggling with complicated shoes? I dug up an old pair of black Skechers sneakers, and am wondering why I neglected them for so long. I'm loving the sporty look they add to jeans and a sweater :)

Well, there you have it, my list of shoe essentials! What do you think? Did you find this helpful? I'd love to hear your thoughts and to see what your essentials are - please feel free to share and comment, and hope you have a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment