Monday, March 11, 2013

(Note: I wrote this post on Thursday, March 7, and figured out how to properly post it on my arts page today - Monday March 11)

I saw Mamma Mia! on Broadway, with my mama (most appropriate!), last Friday.

We both loved this amazing show. The set was beautifully constructed and provided the perfect backdrop of Mediterranean/Greek sun-drenched walls, sand, and sea. The entire cast and crew were outstanding for the energy and vivacity they radiated. I loved every single minute, from the playful banter between the characters, to the bursts of song and dance, and the fantastic lighting and background music (major kudos to the crew, and the pit orchestra, who in addition to the actors, perform this show live every single time. Incredible!).

My favorites, among all the wonderful members of the cast, were Judy McLane as Donna Sheridan, Felicia Finley as Tanya, Lauren Cohn as Rosie (the SuperTroupers!). Three incredibly talented actresses portraying a trio of friends that absolutely stole the show!

Photo via www.judymclane.com. 
Ms. McLane's voice was incredibly powerful and rich in emotional range and conveyance. I had tears falling down on my face as she sang 'Slipping Through My Fingers,' a poignant song of regret, longing, and endless love. I almost pumped my fist in the air as she sang 'The Winner Takes It All' - what a triumphant display of her talent! And I had such a great time rocking out in the audience to 'Dancing Queen' and all the other songs she sang with Felicia Finley and Lauren Cohn.

Photo via www.michaelcassara.net

One of the best things for me about this musical was seeing the friendship between the three female characters: Donna and her closest friends Tanya and Rosie. The strength of the bond, the comfort they took from and gave to each other, the rowdy good times - all of these are the qualities of the long-term friendships I hope to be able to enjoy well into life's later stages. Ms. Finley was absolutely fantastic in her role as the multiple divorcee with an unbeatable love for life (and all the good, and maybe not so 'good' things in it!). I hope to have that shining spark and zest and that I'm always up for a good time, now and later!

Photo via www.imdb.com

Lauren Cohn as Rosie! I saw a lot of myself in this character, and I just loved the way Ms. Cohn brought her to life. Rosie is an independent woman who marches to her own beat in life, the responsible and practical one in her group, the one who cares for her friends as though they were her own children. She is quirky, witty, well-read, and absolutely adorable around the man she ultimately falls in love with - no shyness here! Together the trio represents all the great things about a close-knit group of friends, and the special bond and memories with those friends who'll always be by your side. I would gladly see any of these three ladies in any of their future performances!






No comments:

Post a Comment